Return to the Kerikeri Home Page

Pear tree planted in
1819

 




 
The Cradle of the Nation
Te Kohanga
Also see the
 Kerikeri Timeline, 1906 - 2006
 
 
     The Kerikeri Basin is where Maori welcomed missionaries in 1819 to establish a Church Mission Settlement. This established the framework for New Zealand's bi-cultural society. Kerikeri is both a beautiful place in the Bay of Islands, and New Zealand's most historic site of national importance.

 


    New Zealand's oldest house, Kemp House (1821-22) and the world reknowned Stone Store (1832-36) are maintained on behalf of the people of New Zealand by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
    
      This history has been condensed from the Kerikeri 175th Anniversary Booklet, Ed Bonita Cron. copyright to Kerikeri Community Board.
 
 

 

Books about Kerikeri

"Rocking the Cradle, the story of the Society for the Preservation of the Kerikeri Stone Store Area"  Cathy Robinson
robinsoncathy@hotmail.com

"Kerikeri Heritage of Dreams" Nancy Pickmere

"Missionary and Maori" Nola Easdale

"Old Land Claims in New Zealand" Jack Lee

"Heke's War in the North 1845 Extracts from a diary" Rev R Burrows


 



A New Zealand Community web site
Copyright © NZ Community Development Trust